LEAD: THE TIME

This is your time to lead; to take control of your life. This is the time to rise up and be counted. Welcome to my world of great leadership.

Monday 21 April 2014

THE POWER OF ASSOCIATION

For as long as I can remember, I've been told that the friends you keep and associate with influence who you become. So it became increasingly important to look beyond what common characteristics you shared with the people you met, but to also appreciate their attitude to become successful, their drive to achieve their dreams and how much they were willing to  sacrifice  to become better people.

At first, I thought this criteria of selecting friends was very shallow and pathetic. Friendship was supposed to be about the good times and the laughter; the short trips and Instagram pictures. It was  only recently when I took a hard look at who I was becoming and some of the friends I associated with, that I realized there maybe some truth to this.

 I had breakfast with a dear friend I hadn't seen in a while,when I realized that the power of association was a reality.  The passion and determination she had to achieving her dreams; the drive she illustrated in going after what she wants inspired me. I asked her about the people she associated with and it confirmed what I am writing about. As a result I find myself asking a lot questions.

" Are my friends a positive influence in my life ? Am I a positive influence in the lives of the people  I associate with?  " Do I play a role in helping people achieving their goals?" " Am I a change agent?
These are some of the questions I am facing since the breakfast session with my friend.

I have taken the truth for granted, denying that the people I associate with either influence me positively or negatively. I don't deny that I am ultimately responsible for the choices I make.  I  am responsible for who I become and not my friends. However the people we hang with; their mentality; their attitude rubs off on us. It is their drive or lack there off  that triggers our drive. It is their attitude- positive or negative that determines how sustainable our attitudes are.

The truth is, who we associate with influences how our lives roll out ;although it's to a certain extent. We have a duty to associated with friends that help us become better people. Friends who will encourage us to go after our dreams. Friends that constantly tell us it's possible and you can do it.

My question is...

Are you that friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment