LEAD: THE TIME

This is your time to lead; to take control of your life. This is the time to rise up and be counted. Welcome to my world of great leadership.

Thursday 22 September 2011

OPPORTUNITES

For a greater part of my life I was convinced that my life was clearly mapped out. I would complete my undergraduate degree; pursue my Post graduate degree and work in a fancy company. My office would be furnished with state of the art furnishings- a view that inspired creativity and productivity; the passages would be beautifully decorated with art work that evoked emotions never felt and lastly the cup of coffee that would revitalise my overworked body.
I imagined my life in an environment so competitive that sleep would be luxury- the kind of life where the only things that mattered would be your values; work ethic and the level of productivity. This was a dream of the corporate world- where people constantly stretch themselves to achieve higher returns; better titles; better salaries. I focused so much effort into making this kind of life a reality. I strongly believed that my destiny was crafted in this kind of environment; with these kind of objectives; this kind of salaries
I become frustrated by the number of rejections I received from numerous corporate companies I had applied for. With each rejection e-mail, I saw my dream of the corporate life drift further away and my frustration quickly spiralling out of control. It didn’t make sense as to why achieving this dream was so impossible. It didn’t make sense why something so good was so hard to find.
Sometimes in life- we chase after dreams that were never meant for us. We chase after opportunities that were never meant for our lives. We make the mistake of investing immeasurable effort into an attempt that would fail because it was never aligned to our futures and thus, we miss out on great opportunities that lie in front of us.
I have recently woken up to a new dream; a life that is clearly mapped out; that is aligned to my purpose- my future. I would complete my undergraduate degree; pursue my Honours; complete my Masters and eventually my Doctorate.  My office would be furnished with state of the art furnishings- a view that inspired growth; development and education. The passages would be filled with legends that contributed to the world’s education and would invoke hunger for continuous learning and lastly, the cup of coffee that would revitalise; stimulate and educate my brain. I realised that I was never meant to be in the corporate environment but instead in Academia.
Are you chasing after opportunities that are meant for you? Are you investing effort into something that will succeed?
Let us stop wasting precious time pursuing opportunities that were never meant for our lives; instead focus on finding out what your purpose in life is and chasing after those opportunities.
Smile. Laugh. Live
.

No comments:

Post a Comment