LEAD: THE TIME

This is your time to lead; to take control of your life. This is the time to rise up and be counted. Welcome to my world of great leadership.

Monday 23 April 2012

GRADUATION

It is every student’s dream to gracefully walk to the venue booked for the conferment of degrees, diplomas or certificates- what we commonly refer to as graduation. And as such, it comes with a number of serious preparations- the perfect suit for those who love the professional look; the stylish pair of stilettos for the woman of power and lastly the Haute
Once the first phase of preparations is done, we move on to the second part- the academic wear. This is my all time favorite- the sophistication of this look and respect it commands is overwhelming. It is not every day you wear the academic hat- so when you do; you want to make sure it fits perfectly and couture for the fashion gurus.
Graduation is a highlight for many students, mainly because it is a representation of the long hours we invested; the personal sacrifices many of us made. It is a token of our hard work, the discipline we displayed and the journey many of us travelled together. And it makes sense for it to be rather emotional.
I found myself anxiously waiting for graduation because I knew it was a glorious moment. I knew it was a reflection of my hard work, the sacrifices I made. It was a reminder that when you have a goal and you are prepared to work towards that goal- achieving it was possible.
There was a significant message I took with me from graduation as the guest speaker gave his key note address and he said:
There are three pillars to what I can success-
1.    you need to work hard, very hard
2.    you need to be ethical, very ethical
3.    You need to have the right attitude, all the time.
This was a message I knew could make a positive contribution to my development as a person. This is the kind of message that could make you the person eligible for that promotion at work; the kind of student that eventually graduates; the kind of leader that could change our country.
The guest speaker further went on to say “if you are not adding value- then you are consuming value.”  This was a reminder to me that where ever you are- and whatever you are doing, it is imperative to make a contribution- that you add value.
As many us go to graduation and eventually go back to our new jobs or honors classes- remember what this guest speaker said. We need to work hard- very hard. We must be people with morals and ethics. Our attitude must be right- the kind that says “I can” and lastly we need to start adding value – to our companies, our families and our communities, because if we are not adding value, then we are consuming value.
Wishing all the graduates a prosperous future and to those working towards it, a successful and fruitful journey.

1 comment: